Individuals may end up paying more tax than they are legally required to pay at times. You can claim an income tax refund if your advanced tax or tax deducted at source (TDS) are higher than what you are due. The ITR refund is a way for you to recoup any extra tax you have paid.
In order to make this process easier, the government has introduced online income tax refunds. In most cases, income tax refunds take 20-45 days after your tax returns have been filed and verified. The Centralised Processing Centre (CPC) can track your income tax refund online. If it takes longer, you should follow up.
F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
When do I have to file a refund claim?
Typically, the refund claim deadline is the same as the filing deadline for returns, which is 31 July each year.
Are you able to get money back from your income tax?
You will receive your refund if you are eligible|
What is the best way to check the status of my income tax refund?
NSDL or the income tax e-filing website let you check the status of your income tax refund.
I would like to check the status of my tax refund for 2020-21. How can I do that?
E-Filing Website for Income Taxes
- Go to incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home
- Using the USER ID, password, and captcha code, you can log into your account.
- Select “View Returns / Forms” from the menu.
- In the drop-down menu, select ‘Income tax Returns under ‘Select an Option.
- The assessment year must be filled in and submitted.
- Check your ITR refund status by clicking on the relevant acknowledgment number.
- Website of the NSDL
- You can access it at tin. tin.ns dl.com/oltas/refundstatuslogin.html
- Captcha code, PAN details, and assessment year are required.
- View your ITR refund status by clicking submit.
5. How long will it take for me to receive my 2022 ITR refund?
It takes the CDC 45 days to process ITR refunds after taxes have been processed. If you would like to find out how long it will take, check your online account or contact the jurisdictional officer.
6. What is the process for claiming my income tax refund after the due date?
You can still file late returns and claim a rebate if you qualify. A belated tax refund can be claimed before the end of the assessment period.
7. Refunds of income taxes take how long?
It takes the CDC between 20 and 45 days to process ITR refunds after income tax has been processed.
8. This year, my tax refund has been delayed. Why?
Income taxes can be delayed for a variety of reasons.
- It is possible that you filed the returns incorrectly
- Your refund claim is not in line with the tax that the IT department has calculated
- E-verification of your returns has not been completed
- For more information, see “Meanings of all Income Tax Refund Status”. There may also be an issue with the IT department. For instance, for FY19-20, a software update delayed the processing of returns.