There are numerous reasons for a person to change his or her name in India. It could be for the sake of marriage, good fortune, or a new identity. The name change procedure is lengthy and involves numerous administrative procedures.
Steps Involved in Changing Your Name
- Documents to verify
- Drafting the application
- Dispatching the documents
- Publishing in newspaper
- Publication in an official gazette application
- Publication in an official gazette
- Dispatching of the official gazette
Documents to verify:
- ID Proof: pan card or passport or driving licence or aadhar card or voter id
- Address proof: ration card or aadhar card or electricity bill.
- Photo: one passport size photo
- Application Form: duly signed application form with all details old & new name
- correspondence address, contact details & reason for a name change
- Optional: marriage certificate ( if any for female after marriage ) divorce decree issued by a court in case of divorce. adoption deed issued by court in cases of adoption.
Once you fill out the form, your next step is to proceed with your application with
- Application for publication in an official gazette
Dispatching the documents
You must sign the documents and send us the physical copies and a notarized affidavit.
Publishing in newspaper
An advertisement for a changing name in a national newspaper should be published.
Publication in an official gazette application
Following the publication of the advertisement, we will apply supporting documents to the Department of Publication in New Delhi for publication of the name change in the official gazette.
Publication in an official gazette
Your name will be published in an official gazette between 15 and 50 days after submitting your application.
Dispatching of the official gazette
We will send you a copy of the official gazette once published.
Name Change Documents Required
- Publication in the newspaper original and photocopy of advertisement appearing in the newspaper
- Affidavit of Change of Name
- Proforma for changing one’s name that has been prescribed. Two witnesses must sign the proforma, and the following witness information is required:
- Name and address in full
- No. of phone/mobile phone
- A CD containing a soft copy of the proforma without witness information
- The applicant’s previous name should be written in place of the signature
- A certificate stating that the CD and hard copy have the exact details two passport-size photos that have been self-attested
- Photocopy of the applicant’s identity proof (photocopy of any of the following documents will suffice) aadhar card, passport, voter identification card, pan card, and driver’s licence)
- Demand draft for fee payment cover letter.